A new age of innovative biomedical instruments offering brand-new biomedical diagnosis and treatment is coming into being. Soon we will have high-quality biomedical services without limit on location and time by attaching medical devices to or implanting them in the human body. The significant evolution of biomedical electronics with ability of interfacing to body is the background of this medical innovation regarding personal, mobile, and real-time medical services. We at the BIE Lab are working on three representative research topics to lead this new movement:
- Minimizing the need for surgery to save cost/time in medical treatment and enhance patients’ experience
- Interfacing/implanting electronics for mobilized medical care
- Evaluating biomedical stability/reliability of medical devices for translation to real biomedicine.
(Each topic is independent but also covers the needs of each other.)
Biodegradable Medical Devices
Soft & Flexible Bio-Devices
Reliability of Biomedical Devices
Application & Demonstration
- S.-K.Kang et al. "Bioresorbable Silicon Electronic Sensors for the Intracranial Space and the Deep Brain", Nature 530, 71-76 (2016).
- K.J. Yu et al. "Bioresorbable silicon electronics for transient spatiotemporal mapping of electrical activity from the cerebral cortex", Nature Materials 15, 782-792 (2016).
- A. Koh et al. "Ultrathin Injectable Sensors of Temperature, Thermal Conductivity, and Heat Capacity for Cardiac Ablation Monitoring",
Advanced Healthcare Materials 5, 373 (2016)
- C.H. Lee et al. "Biological Lipid Membranes for On-Demand, Wireless Drug Delivery from Thin, Bioresorbable Electronic Implants,"
NPG Asia Materials 7, e227 (2015).
- S.-K.Kang et al. "Dissolution chemistry and biocompatibility of Si- and Ge-based semiconductors for transient electronics",
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7, 9297-9305 (2015).
- S.-K.Kang et al. "Biodegradable Thin Metal Foils and Spin-On Glass Materials for Transient Electronics", A
dvanced Functional Materials 25, 1789 (2015).
- S.-K.Kang et al. "Dissolution behaviors and applications of silicon oxides and nitrides in transient electronics",
Advanced Functional Materials 24, 4427 (2014).
- S.W. Hwang et al. "High-Performance Biodegradable/Transient Electronics on Biodegradable Polymers",
Advanced Materials, 26, 3905 (2014).